Ed Rockwell Resume
Seeking a position in DevOps/IT Operations where I can apply my experience and expertise within IT Infrastructure Management and utilize DevOps practices to ensure effective communication and collaboration between departments. I strive to ensure my team is always working on automating manual tasks. Strive to identify “Waits” and look for ways to speed up teams through DevOps Principals. I am looking to build an effective team of professionals utilizing my extensive knowledge of best practices, troubleshooting skills, Automation and work ethics and help fill communication and knowledge gaps between Development and IT departments. I have a high desire to apply my extensive knowledge across Development, QA and IT areas including Management.
Senior DevOps Engineer and Senior Systems Administrator with 25 years of experience in Enterprise Web, Infrastructure Availability, Active Directory, and all aspects of IT infrastructure. Extensive experience with IIS, Load Balancing, Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange, Virtualization with VMWare and NetApp Storage, DNS, Microsoft MSMQ and Service availability. Professional outgoing tier 3 support and solutions provider for complex IT strategies and initiatives to reduce maintenance and costs along with providing stable and reliable services. Thrive in a fast paced and constantly changing environment. I have a working knowledge of DevOps and applying the principals into teams to be successful at automation software deployments and IT Systems. I continue to educate myself in the principals of IT, Operations, Software deployment and automation.
Skills and Experience
IT Automation, Complex Systems Troubleshooting, Mentoring, Agile practices, Kanban, Scrumwise, TFS, Infrastructure Design, Global Web Services, SSL/TLS, IIS, Loadbalancing, Loadbalancer.org, JAMS, F5 GTM, F5 LTM, Ironport C350 and M650, VMWare ESXi, Virtualcenter (vCenter), vSphere, NetApp, SnapMirror, Entrust Identity Guard, Powershell, Active Directory, DNS, WINS, DHCP, Group Policy, Exchange 2003/2007, Exchange Migrations and Consolidations, Windows 7, XP, Vista, Windows 2003 & 2008, Microsoft Office, MXLogic, E-Trust Enterprise, Symantec Enterprise Vault 7.5, Microsoft ISA, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Visio and Powerpoint
Proto Labs Inc. march 2017 - present
Maintain and deploy Proto Labs websites and lead PCI implementation specialist including PKI infrastructure and website security and ensure sites are secure using modern best practices and OWASP top 10. Manage SOX auditing with over 4 years of experience. Automate building servers using Powershell DSC and modern technologies to avoid server drift. Maintain TFS and work with build and deployment stratergies withing TFS.
- Architect ways to remove manual tasks with automation..
- Lead DevOps Engineer on the AAA project (Automate All Applications).
- Scan, review and remediate external vulnrabilities as they relate to PCI and OWASP top 10.
- Manage PCI compliance worldwide including quarterly vulnrability testing and yearly external penetration tests with AVS. Manage all remediation tasks.
- Server build automation with PowerShell DSC.
- Weekly website code deployments using automated installations.
- Manage all SSL/TLS certificates worldwide.
- Manage Internet traffic load balancers worldwide.
Proto Labs Inc. march 2015 - March 2017
Manage a team of Deployment Engineers worldwide to facilitate global deployments of production software. Guiding DevOps Engineers in regards to best practices and automation to automate server and environment builds to provide new environments quickly.
- Manage deployment teams and facilitate team collaboration for consistent systems worldwide.
- Manage teams to automate server and environment builds.
- Guiding team towards removing “Snowflake” servers so environments from QE through PROD are identical.
- Manage deployment specialists and strive for automation with all code deployed to production.
- Manage PCI compliance worldwide.
- Facilitate SOX compliance.
Proto Labs Inc. april 2013 - March 2015
Manage software deployment, configuration, approval and change control. Lead software deployment engineer for all Proto Labs deployments to production. Lead interface between Development and IT. Documented all deployment procedures for global websites, intranets and internal applications for manufacturing and production.
- Develop and implement a process for SOX controls which is in use today with great success.
- Deployment specialist for all code deployed to production across GWS, Intranets and CAM Applications.
- Implement load balancers for US Production internet facing global web sites.
- Special project engineer for email migration of Fineline accounts during acquisition using powershell
- Help IT employees embrace Powershell and work towards automation of tasks.
- Provided technical and non-technical interviews for IT department candidates.
- Mentoring helpdesk and junior team members.
- Liaison between Development and IT to ensure cross knowledge of tasks and activities in a pseudo DevOps role.
- Critical team member responsible for designing and implementing the production Disaster Recovery tests for production applications. Executed quarterly Disaster Recovery tests for 3 years.
EFS - T-Chek Systems (CH Robinson Inc.) april 2010 - April 2013
Maintain and upgrade Infrastructure to constantly keep current with changing technology. F5 LTM Administrator. Design, build and manage Entrust Identity Guard authentication system for online Mastercard system. Support, maintain and migrate VMWare ESXi 4.1 and vCenter. Coordinate the installation, functionality and maintenance of NetApp Filer 3140 HA and replication to Chicago for disaster recovery. Installation and migration of VMWare virtual machines from Hitachi SAN to NetApp Filers. Perform 180 day cycle of global password changes for all service accounts. Microsoft Dynamics CRM server and application support. Project lead on SQL Server migration. Physical and virtual server build and deployment.
- Design, Build, Migration and maintenance of virtual web application into highly available (F5 LTM) secure segments and ensure secure communication utilizing IPsec tunnels to back end databases and HP NonStop Tandem.
- VMWare Hardware refresh from standalone servers to Blade/Chassis.
- Documentation Review and refresh of existing outdated procedures and diagrams.
- Entrust Identity Guard implementation for website authentication using Grid Cards and Tokens.
- Coordination of SQL server 2005 to 2008R2 migration for all environments (Development, Quality Assurance, System Integration, Demo, and Production). This includes building of servers and coordination of migration between developers, testers, SQL Administrators, scheduling and leading the execution of migration.
- Built and managed the upgrade of Microsoft Dynamics CRM back end server infrastructure from Windows 2003 and SQL 2003 to 2008R2. Responsible for performance resolution and entity customization imports, integration, and updates.
- Responsible for analyzing and coordinating Development Team requests for server requirements and deployment of requests in a timely and secure manner.
Kroll Ontrack 1996 - 2009
Efficiently managed worldwide Microsoft Exchange operations to ensure reliable and efficient email delivery for global end users. Held multiple titles including Principal Systems Administrator, Sr. Systems Administrator, Network Administrator and Messaging Supervisor. Supported all aspects of their IT infrastructure including network support, server installations, global application delivery, and upgrades. Enterprise level messaging systems integration during the company's multiple mergers and acquisitions.
- Designed, built, maintained, consolidated and upgraded Kroll’s worldwide messaging systems. Including a worldwide migration and consolidation of three Exchange 2003 systems to one global Exchange 2007 system.
- Implemented and supported Symantec Enterprise Vault 7.5 archiving and journaling technology for Exchange 2007.
- Primary administrator and lead for internet DNS for over 550 domains and lead the company-wide migration of DNS from Microsoft 2003 DNS to F5 GTM’s with zero downtime or outages.
- Designed and implemented F5 GTM Wide IP global address distribution topology for Outlook Web Access along with ensuring training and understanding of the technology for successful ongoing support.
- Over 13 years of anti-virus and anti-spam knowledge, support and response management with success.
- Migrated internet anti-virus/anti-spam MXLogic service and Brightmail to a global Ironport appliance implementation which was highly effective by reducing spam and support.
- Supported and maintained Windows 2003 Active Directory and all included services (DNS, WINS, DHCP, Group Policy and security).
- Responsible for implementation, support and updates of three enterprise address books totaling over 70,000 addresses from our parent company using directory synchronization software.
- Designed a fully redundant worldwide hosting environment running Microsoft Windows 2003 IIS for six primary websites and over 100 secondary sites. Managed the migration of our entire web farm from Texas over to the new infrastructure in downtown Minneapolis with zero outages or downtime.
- Successfully researched, implemented and supported the Microsoft Time Zone shift across multiple Exchange systems worldwide with very short and firm deadlines with success.
- Successfully implemented and supported global SSL certificates including messaging TLS.
- Designed and implemented Ontrack’s first worldwide monitoring solution including support documentation and escalation procedures which significantly reduced downtime and troubleshooting while increasing uptime and availability.
- Design, implement and maintain Good Technology mobile messaging service.
- Support and troubleshoot mobile messaging of BES Blackberry services after migration from Good Technologies.
- Responsible for messaging Tier-3 escalation and support.
Normandale Community College Bloomington, MN
MRA (Formerly Trusight) Plymouth, MN March - August 2015
- Principles of Leadership Excellence Certificate Series
- 6 month Course
- Certificate Received
Benchmark Learning Bloomington, MN 1996 - 2009
- ITIL Essentials
- Upgrading your skills from Exchange 2000/03 to 2007
- Intro to Windows Server 2008
- PowerShell for Administrators
Milestone Systems Minnetonka, MN 2011
- F5 LTM V10.2 Essentials
- F5 LTM V10.2 Advanced
- F5 LTM V11.2 (October 2012)
- F5 LTM V11.2 ASM (December 2012)
Brown Institute Minneapolis, MN 1995 - 1996
- Networking Technologies
- Installation of Novell and Applications
- LAN Administration
- Advanced Administration